Friday, December 11, 2009

Sick Of Chemical Off-shelf PB? - How You Can Make Your Very Own Homemade Peanut Butter

I had always loved peanut butter when I was a kid.  It was like a compulsory element for my family every breakfast.  One 510g jar of peanut butter cost about 9 bucks and that finished in about a week's time.  We never really paid attention of the food labels.  And when we did, we felt like we were actually on board the carriage bound for doom so we stopped eating peanut butter.

Since then, we always felt that our breakfasts were always missing something.  We decided to bring back our daily spread again but we just couldn't bring ourselves to eat those nasty chemicals again.  So I searched the Internet about peanut butter to see if things like those were REALLY edible and found all sorts of stuff about PB.  There are lots of people out there who say that the common peanut butter sold at supermarkets contain lots of chemicals that include, food preservatives, coloring, chemical sugar and salt and trans fat in the form of vegetable oil that are not good for the body when consumed.  And because of that, they make their own peanut butter.

So I thought it was a splendid idea.  Then I went in search for videos on how to make peanut butter and found some good instructional videos.  I couldn't follow exactly what they did because I didn't have the proper equipment so I improvised.

Ingredients:

  • 500g peanuts
  • Himalayan rock salt
  • Organic brown sugar (the really brown and moist one)
  • some water

Main Tools:

  • pot
  • blender

How I did it, well, first, I soaked the peanuts.  Then I boiled them until they were cooked.  Then I put them in the blender, added the sugar and salt and blended them!  Walla!  Homemade organic, chemical free, peanut butter.

After an afternoon's work, I finally made myself some healthy peanut butter.  But there was still one more thing to go - The Moment of Truth - Tasting!

No doubt, it was indeed edible.  There weren't any complains about it from the rest but when my mom tasted it, she said it was a little too bland and couldn't stand feeling the texture in her mouth.  It wasn't smooth and creamy.  The blender couldn't blend all the peanuts and made the peanut butter chuncky with some peanuts still in one piece.  It was kinda hard to spread due to the chucks.  Then I came to conclusion that my peanut butter turned out that way because 1) I didn't add oil to it.  Factory peanut butter is packed with oil that contributes to the smoothness of its texture.  And 2) I used a blender instead of a food processor.  Probably a food processor is more powerful than a blender and can mince food more evenly.

Homemade peanut butter in a jar

Unlike regular peanut butter, even regular homemade peanut butter, this one I made has a cream pale white color.  It's probably because I boiled the peanuts instead of roasted it.  Roasted peanuts tend to be more golden brown and that color is what makes the peanut butter made out of it browner.

I kept my homemade peanut butter in a jar which was formerly used to hold rock salt and kept it in the fridge.  After 3 days, it still didn't smell bad but I decided to finish it fast because my mom didn't really like it so I enjoyed the very last bit of it.  Since then, I always felt hesitant to make peanut butter because I knew I am likely to be scolded for doing it.

Anyways, I got the inspiration, ideas and guide for making my peanut butter from this video at Howcast.com.


Come to think of what I just did, I used 500g of peanuts to make just one jar of peanut butter.  I wonder where the peanut butter factories get their peanuts to make like hundreds and thousands of jars to be distributed and sold in numerous supermarkets.  Did they really use peanuts?  Oh please tell me they did...

No comments:

Post a Comment